Monday, February 24, 2014

Half Way There

The title refers to the fact that we (anyone training) are half way through the plan for this year's Boston Marathon.  Week ended up as pretty successful.  Rain came in on Thursday night and washed away most of the snow and then we got a bit of a warming trend so that we were able to run outside this weekend.  There was some ice which made some of the spots interesting, but for the most part, the roads, sidewalks, and all-purpose trail in the park were clear.  I changed the date of my long run to accommodate another friend running Boston, so we did 18 together (and with her fiancé) on Sunday rather than Saturday.  It was definitely a better choice as there was less ice by Sunday.  Still some slick spots but as the sun came out, most of those turned to slush or simply puddles.  I did the 18 as calorie depleted in that I did not fuel at all during the 2:46 and relied only on water and Nuun.  It was the first time that I ran that long without eating before or during the run.  I felt good and we actually picked up the pace in the 2nd half as again the ice had melted.

On Thursday, I did end up running a solid hill workout.  These hills were done as a steady effort up, then on to the flat and then a harder run down.  It was drizzling a little, but again, the hard rain from the day had cleared off the sidewalk on the hill, so we were in luck.  Good overall run that covered 7 solid miles. 

Here is the recap:

Mon – 4 miles in Arizona
Tues – Travel home.
Wed – Easy 6 miles in the sidewalks/roads at home.  Added in the Yacht Club hill.  A bit of slush in some areas but clear for the most part.
Thurs – 7 miles with 6 x hill – up and down
Fri –Day off
Sat – Easy 8 miles.  Icy in spots which was interesting in some cases.
Sun – 18 miles in 2:46.  So at the slower end of the zone, but the 2nd half was much faster (closer to 9:15 average) as the slick spots were less and less.

WTD:  43 miles

Interestingly enough, I ran outside everyday this past week – no indoor or treadmill miles.  I am hoping that the snow we are seeing now is just flurries and nothing sticks so I can do tomorrow’s workout on the actual outdoor track.  It is supposed to get cold again (20s), but no snow accumulation.  This weekend will be the Millcreek Half marathon on Sunday and I am planning on running 2-3 warm up miles  (depends  on how early we get there as it is a 1.5 hr drive) and then 9-10 miles at MP with the last 3 hopefully faster.  It is a hilly course (15 hills) but that is the test.

I also bought a copy of Dr. Stan’s book on training Elite Minds.  I’ve only read the 1st chapter and a half.  I was contacted by the director of the Boston Marathon film, so that might put a bit of pressure on me as well if he uses my story.  Let's hope Dr. Stan's book helps.

56 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment