Saturday, September 20, 2014

First Big Week

Well, after Sunday's race, most runners would have taken a few days break, but no, I am in the midst of marathon training and I'm feeling very good.  This week has been an indication that my fitness is right where it needs to be.  After taking Monday off, I ran a strong track session on Tuesday, an easy recovery run on Wednesday, a strong tempo run on Thursday, an easy 3 mile Event on Friday, and 20 this morning!  After tomorrow's 6 mile recovery run, I'll be at 48 miles for the week.  First week up in the high 40s for the week - and I feel good.

Thursday's tempo run scared me a bit as I didn't think my tired and sore (thanks to Meredith and Cindy and our Wednesday morning class) legs would cooperate, so I was very surprised to see the tempo miles done at an average 8:05 pace with the last mile being at half marathon pace.  And I survived!  My legs actually felt better after the run than they did at the start.  Good sign, I believe.

Friday night, I participated in a special event run organized by the Cleveland Moms Run this City group in support of two women who were attacked on the near west side in ate August/early September.  This was a 3 mile run and over 600 runners/walkers, etc showed up.  The event was 




given a great deal of press and PR and it was very uplifting and empowering. Thanks to the group that organized the event.



This morning I ran my first 20 miler and I doubt that I would have done this on my own, so thanks to Anne, Jen, Kara, and Kathy.  We did it and I feel better for it.  And in an overall time of 3:12 (first three miles slow and last three on the trails (so slow), I feel like I ran well and strong.  Legs were tired at mile 15, but at mile 20 (and now), I felt better than I did on any long run this summer.  Here's to hoping that this bodes well for NY as well.

Now it is time to head back down to Edgewater Park and watch a couple of crazy friends participating in the North Coast 24 which is a 24 hr run done by running a 0.9 mile bike path loop and cover as many miles as you can in 24 hrs.  Twenty mile might seem crazy to some, but frankly, that is nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment