Friday, October 3, 2014

The Week After......

Below is a picture of Mike & I at the finish line.....

It was pretty warm (close to 80F) by then and we felt every degree.  It was good to get it done and bring it home though.

I did recover better than I thought I would immediately after we finished.  I felt tight, sore and a bit dehydrated so I forced myself out of bed the next morning to run a nice easy one with the Sunday morning group (we really run to have coffee) and it was nice to catch up with Brenda and Paul as I had not seen either one of them since before I left for CHQ in June.  Brenda recently got married so it was good to hear her talk of the ceremony and honeymoon as it passed the time and we ran a pretty solid 10K.  I felt good from the first step - no real soreness especially where I expected it (Achilles, calf, foot, hammie) which was great since I knew the week would bring a couple of tough workouts.

Tuesday's track session once again was made up of a 3K, 2K, 1K, 800m ladder but with only 90 sec rest, and even with the higher humidity sue to the overcast day and slightly warmer temps, we nailed the run as a group.  I am proud to say that I am hitting the McMillan calculated paces and I also ran a 3:24 800 m.  I have not run a sub 3:30 800 m in  very long time.  And last year before Indianapolis, I could barely run a 7:19 mile, now I can run a sub-7 without a lot of effort.  Tuesday's run was followed by an easy recovery run on Wednesday and a tough "long tempo" run on Thursday.  I was quite worried about the tempo run as it was to be 8.5 miles, but we got it done, got progressively faster (down to 8 min pace which is where that same trusty calculator says I should be aiming for with my tempo runs.  It is so nice to have the group to do these runs with as last week it was tough to do it by myself.  I am running track times equivalent to what I ran 4-5 yrs ago, so maybe I should trust myself a bit more.  Saturday's workout brings a 12 mile Marathon Pace run and I am going to aim for 8:35-8:40 pace.

Combined with the running, I've been good about getting in 2 classes per week with Meredith and Cindy as well as continuing to work with Jake on the problem areas.  I usually see him prior to my Tuesday and Thursday sessions and I have found that it wakes up my legs and the stretching that we set aside and do at the finish of each workout has benefited me tremendously.  Not too many weeks left before NYC (28 days or so), and I think (hope) I am in a good place.  We will see after tomorrow's pace run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment