Sunday, February 7, 2016

February (2016) Musings.......

Yes blog, I’m training again.  Getting ready for the 2016 Boston Marathon.  It will be my 5th Boston in a row and I’ve never had a streak like that at Boston.  Trying to live the dream of running it every year until I can’t qualify anymore.  Many of you would probably be surprised to realize that there were several years (in my 40s) when I couldn’t run a sub-4 hr marathon consistently.  Why?  Too much of life going on and too many marathons run.  It was fun while it lasted though.

So blog, here are some February musings………

-        It was very cool to see so many runners on the track two weeks ago.  Who would believe we could run a track workout in the winter in the north?  And who would believe so many runners would show up to support each other so magically leaving egos checked at home. 

-     It was especially nice for me to see as I absolutely love the track and I'm happy to share it (well with just about everyone). 

-     Is it weird that I'm going to see Bruce for the first time in numerous years and I have no idea what to wear?  And why do I think about that when I'm running?

-     The indoor bike trainer really sucks.  I guess I am that bad a cyclist that it feels hard to just ride for 30 min.  I'm in trouble as 56 miles is a long way....

-        It sure is nice to run in February in northeast Ohio without snow on the ground.  The occasional flurry is fine and even a light dusting, but I’m good without any accumulation.

-        I’m been running a long time and made lots and lots of mistakes – shoot I ran my PR race as a complete crash and burn – after all that’s what the champions did in that day – run until you drop.  But I have learned so much in recent years, so how do I tell a running friend politely that he/she is training too damn fast?

-        And on that note – don’t shame me for only running 18 miles next weekend instead of the full 26.2.  Finally after all these years, I know my training limits.  It took lots and lots and lots of years.

-        Kind of hoping that I’m more fit than I believe (in that I didn’t lose too much with my low mileage in November and December and my brief hiatus in January for laser eye surgery).  I’d sure love to run sub 3:45 at Boston again.  Shoot, I’d love to run sub 3:50 again.  Wouldn’t that be cool?

-        Wouldn’t it also be cool if I could keep those first three miles to Ashland in check?  Yeah, wouldn’t it be.

-        Yes, blog I am training again and I’ve put together a couple of good weeks.  Just trying not to jinx myself and hold on through March.  Haven’t run longer than 16 yet.


And with that – back to your regularly scheduled program.

No comments:

Post a Comment