Thursday, April 14, 2016

Boston here I come!

It finally here or at least a few days away - the 120th running of the Boston Marathon!  This will be my 5th Boston in a row and my 16th official running.  I never actually planned to run 5 in a row, but with the events of 2013, my good friend qualifying in 2015 - it just happened that way.  The original plan was to run Shannon's freshman year, 2013 and then go back her senior year, 2016 - but events unfolded that changed that plan.

I know I feel very blessed that I can be there and I continue to hope to make it to the finish line in one piece.  I've put in the work - heck, I even ran the fastest half that I have run since 2012, but I've been dealing with some little niggles since then - ankle is better, but now the back of my right knee and my right quad have been annoying me.  It is probably nothing, but I still hope that they don't raise their ugliness over those hills.  I had a tough "speedwork" run at Memorial Field last week, and it did shake my confidence a bit.  This week had a couple of tough runs too, but that is often what is expected in "taper".  Not sure when I'm going to get out today as I have to wait on a plumber for my kitchen sink so I might be headed to a dreadmill or evening run, but we will see.

As I stated above, this will be my 5th Boston in a row and I know that I'm lucky to be able to qualify and run that many times in a row.  I also have a time for 2017, so I'll probably be back.  I never decided to run 5 in a row on purpose, but with Shannon at BU and the events of 2013, it just worked out that way.  The plan was to run her freshman year - 2013 and her senior year - 2016 and I managed to run everyone of them in between.  As my friend Tim says, "run them until you can't qualify", and while I have certainly had years where I didn't or couldn't qualify (due to injury or other life events or running multiple marathons), I know that it is a little bit of a gift to be able to qualify still.  I hope that I can keep running it at least for another 5 yrs until the 125th running.

Of course, the weather is shaping up to be warm (for running) on Monday as the luck of the draw always seems to be.  Spectators will love it, but those of us runners probably won't be that happy.  I keep reminding myself that it was 70F in 2014 and I handled that well.  I just need to run even splits - or as even as possible and take in plenty of water and Gatorade along the way.  Heck, I made it quite successfully in 2012 when the temps soared to near 90F.  C'est la vie - I can't change the weather, I can only prepare for it as best as I can.

Boston will always be a special race for me.  It was my very first marathon (as a bandit) in 1980 and I ran a very nice then PR there in 1986 placing 50th overall for women (it was a down year before shoe contracts, etc - long history there).  I will always think of it as my home city no matter what and I will miss my yearly trips in September and May to get Bug from school, but I do hope to continue running the Boston Marathon.  

I wish much luck to all my Sole Train friends and hope that they enjoy every step of my home town race.  I thank them for putting in those miles with especially Chris, Karyn, Dianne and Tim.  I wouldn't be here without you guys.  Special thanks to Chris for the long runs, to Dianne for that especially tough Pace Run back in early March, and to Karyn for forcing (hehehe) me to run those Hinckley hills.  And of course to Bob and Coach Emily for believing in me.

Monday will be here soon enough even with its warm temps and as I turn onto Boylston street, I will once again remember those tragic events that I witnessed in 2013.   I will remember to say a prayer as I pass in front of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel (where I was that day on the course).  And forever it will be Boston Strong.


1 comment:

  1. Good luck! (Although....you really don't need luck. You've done the work to have a fantastic race). I hope the weather is on your side.

    ReplyDelete