Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Indoor Bike Training with the Atlanta Triathlon Club

If you had told me back in January that I would actually like riding on the Computrainer at the Energy Lab in Atlanta, GA, I would have told you that you were nuts.

http://energylabatl.com/


However, like it, I certainly do.  Showing up on January 18th, I was skeptical and frankly scared to death.  As you see, I'm not a great cyclist and I don't really have the mentality to be "bad" at something when I'm determined to be better at a sport.  I mean, I can certainly ride a bike, but ride well enough or fast enough to compete in my AG as part of a triathlon - that is another issue.  I showed up that day and when I was asked by Tim to ride at 25 mph to set the computer, I was like - what are you, nuts?  I can't ride at 25 mph - no way - even if it is for 30 sec to set the computer.  I did it but it was hard, I mean almost next to impossible hard, and then I couldn't even get the setup to work right, but for the first time, it wasn't that bad.

Fast forward two weeks when I came back and we did an FTP - or Functional Threshhold Power test. I understood the concept as I run often, if not at least 1x per week, at this level.  Cycling at this level though was a whole other beast.  I survived the 20 min test (and maybe I could really do a better job since I didn't know it was coming and I had run a hard workout the day before and I had run 6 miles that morning) with the predictably low FTP of 129.  But it was easier than it had been the first time and the encouragement from the others in the class was 2nd to none.  Now I'm use to being the experienced runner/coach/mentor and well, it is a weird feeling in the opposite direction.

Came back I did again, and today, well, today was definitely a breakthrough (at least for me).  I came in, I actually set up my bike with very little assistance, and I rode.  And I bumped up that resistance as we went along and although it was hard, it was actually easier than it had been.  When the program had us ride at 80% and 80 rpm, I was there, at 85% and 85 rpm, I was there and even when we had to do the surges at 110 rpm - I was there.  Now I might not be at the killer mph speed of others and my FTP is still low (although increasing), I actually felt not only like I knew what I was doing but also that I was making headway.

Sure it is going to take a while to transfer anything to the actual roads, but at this point, I am seeing where I can get to and even 1 mph increase will help me achieve my goals on the bike and in racing.
Special thanks go to Coaches Tim Myers and Bethany Rutledge and the others in the class.  And although I certainly still consider myself a runner, I might actually become a triathlete too.

1 comment:

  1. When I started triathlon, a friend told me that it takes 5-6 years to get really good on the bike. At the time, I thought he was nuts. It might not be 5-6 years, but it certainly takes a long time. BUT, you have to start somewhere. I really think that's why the people who are in their late 40's and early 50's are some of the fastest athletes at races. They have now been doing this sport for 15, 20, 25 years.

    ReplyDelete