Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Return to Training (after Injury)

So as I mentioned in my last post (yes, I know it was awhile ago), there was something indeed going on with my right foot.  Turns out that I actually had broken the 5th metatarsal which pretty much ended my fall season.  The broken foot immediately received a present in the form of a fun new boot, and my training drastically altered.  I had to withdraw from the Bourbon Chase relay, IM 70.3 North Carolina, and the NYC marathon.  Not an easy decision, but the good news was that I had taken out race insurance for the flight to the relay and for the HIM, which I filed a claim for, and received all of my monies back with a "Dr's note".  I also deferred my entrance to NY which means that I am guaranteed an entry for 2018.  Not sure if I will take the entry, but I still have time to make that decision.


During the time I had the boot, I had to change my training.  I was able to continue to swim which I did, but really I did a lot of pull for the first few weeks and no pushing off with the right foot.  After the first 5 wks of the boot (remember I didn't get the foot checked until 3 wks after the initial break), I was able to add back "real" swimming i.e. freestyle with kicking, but I still did mostly pull work.  I could no longer cycle outdoors so I started taking spin classes which turned out to be something that I really enjoy.

As for rehabbing a broken fifth metatarsal, I couldn't find a lot of direction as I scoured the internet for folks with a similar situation.  I made sure to take extra calcium in my diet and kept those glasses of wine to a minimum.  I also massaged the foot area daily to maintain blood flow.  After 7 wks in the boot, I finally was able to walk without it, and at that point, I was cleared to ride my bike, but I still was wary of riding outside for fear of falling, so I stuck with spin classes but now I could at least come out of the saddle.  After those two weeks, I was cleared to run.

So I decided to start on the indoor track - and I ran 2 miles, and it hurt.  No the foot didn't hurt, but my lower back, glutes, ITBand, and adductors sure did.  That boot caused me to be off balance and really had my hip out of whack.  I have been working since I started back to running on fixing/improving these imbalances and slowly I'm feeling less pain while running.  So I've run up to 5 miles 3x now, and I've run a total of eight times.  It's coming back slowly but it's coming back.

I'm hoping that I can start Boston training after the first of the year - we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment