Monday, March 17, 2014

And Another One's Gone..........

This week went well.  After feeling very tired over the last couple of weeks, I went back to taking an iron supplement, and well, even if it was/is a psychological boost, I suddenly seemed to feel better and less tired.  My runs were good this week and it was topped off by a very good effort at the local 15K.  This 15K is really a good warm up for Boston as the first almost 4 miles is mostly downhill and the remaining 5.3 miles is pretty much uphill.  I knew this having run it before, and I also knew that you can't bank time on the course, especially with the mile 4-5 that comes after the downhill where the uphill pretty much looks you in the face.  When I hit that turn, I was once again surprised by how many people were walking!

My plan was to go out slow (as slow as possible given the downhill and try to hold at marathon pace or marathon pace effort).  It was funny as I felt like I was literally going backwards during the first 3 miles where the real downhills occur.  I was having a lot of trouble running "slow" enough with the grade so I consciously just tried to keep my HR and effort so easy that I felt like I was walking.  Those first 4 miles were: 8:12. 8:07, 8:12, and 8:11. The largest downhill grade is in that 2nd mile and is it tough to stay slow.  I then turned the corner to hit that steep hill which is followed by two more good up portions and that mile was 8:43.  My goal then was to slowly drop the pace and stay strong.  This portion of the course rolls pretty good with some downs along with what seems like mostly ups.  I focused on my breathing and effort and never really looked at my watch.  My main focus originally was just picking off runners in front of me (from my friend Glen, to the guy with the huge leprechaun hat, to the gal with the green tutu).  I just tried to have no one pass me.  That was actually easier done than in most races as I really did go out easy by comparison to most of the field.  I even caught my friend Cheryl at mile 8.5 and essentially took 3rd place in our AG from her.  (She ran a PR for the course and was funny afterwards as she said that from mile 6 on, she wondered when I would catch her).  My last 4.3 miles were: 7:58, 7:48, 7:42, 7:41 and 3.27 (7:31 pace as my watch measured 9.45 as did most everyone's) for a final time of 1:15:58.  So not really MP, but it didn't feel faster than that, I wasn't at all tired (just really cold as it was 19F and quite windy)and I could have run several more miles if I wasn't frozen solid and shivering after I finished.  

In comparison, my friend, whom I warned about the hills, went out with miles all in the low 7s, and by comparison, my miles from 4 through the finish were overall a bit faster.  She ended up 2nd in our AG and just ahead of me.  This is a definite "crash and burn" course and I witnessed a lot of "crash and burn".  Here are the fast and fit women after the race.  I was third and Karyn (shamrock on her hat) was 2nd.  Liz in the front in the young-un and she was 2nd in her AG.  I just beat out Cheryl who ran the big PR!



I am feeling good and I hope I can hold it together for my half marathon this weekend in Atlanta. Speaking of Atlanta, I decided since nothing (but cold weather) and no one (my daughter went back to school after break and my husband is in Ireland and then Minnesota and California) that I'm going to stay in Atlanta for a couple of weeks after the race.  I will hopefully get some better weather to run in as well as some hills to do it on and over.  My husband will then join me there in the beginning of April to visit with the same friends that I will stay with and then we will drive back together.  This way, I can also bring the dog who will enjoy a bit of sunshine and the outdoors as well.

Weekly Run Recap:

Mon - No running, core class
Tues - 9.6 miles (schedule had 80 to 90 min) in 1:25 in beautiful 40F weather; Trainer
Wed - Easy 4.5 miles. Done on the treadmill due to the freaky storm that we had come in leaving little snow and lots of ice.  Core class early before the weather came in.
Thurs - 9 miles done as 2 x 3 miles at temp pace.  Very successful (7:46, 7:41, 7:50 with 5 min in between then 7:49, 7:44, 7:38). Felt good.
afterwards as well.  All after having worked with my trainer.
Fri - 3.14 easy miles for Pi Day
Sat - Easy 6 miles with the group  9:30 pace
Sun - Shamrock 15 K with 1.5 mile warmup.

WTD: 43.8 miles
YTD: 427 miles

And for now, there are 34 more days.


No comments:

Post a Comment