Friday, May 30, 2014

Running in Green

So off to Ireland (Dublin actually) for a mini-vacation there and in London. The highlight will not just visiting Ireland for the first time ever, but also running in the Flora Women's Mini Marathon on Monday.  This is one of the largest 10Ks in Europe and it will consist of over 15,000 participants - running, jogging, and walking through the streets of Dublin.  I have never run a race overseas as the closest I have ever gotten to an "international" race is running the marathon in Victoria, BC and crossing the bridge in the Detroit marathon and running in Windsor, Ontario.  I expect that this will be a fun and different experience - partly because of the number of participants (of course, the smallest Peachtree I ever raced in was in 1990 when there were still only 20,000 runners) and partly because I have not "raced" a 10K since Charles Harris 2011.  Not sure I even know how to "race" a 10K, but my expectations are not too high really as I just want to break 50 min and beat my age!  The only complication may be the weather as there is a chance of rain; however, high temps are only projected to be in the high 50s, but with a 40% chance of showers.  It has been warm here in Cleveland, so the temps might feel great, but not so much the rain if it happens. Once done, I'll have a new place to place to say "I ran there" for my daughter.


This is a picture of the start from last year's race.
http://www.florawomensminimarathon.ie/

Speaking of new adventures, I am also a new ambassador for Girls Run Fast. This company produces unique jewelry, apparel, and other fun stuff for women runners and serves to promote a healthy image among women through their products and ambassadors.  Many of you know that I have been a runner for years and one of my most important goals has always been to promote a healthy lifestyle among women of all ages.  I guess now that I'm in my early 50s, it is more important that ever to let women see that it is not impossible to stay strong and fit as we age.  In fact, I'm stronger and certainly in better shape than I was in my late 20s and early 30s and I ran a sub-3 marathon then.  Being fit and in shape does not necessarily mean you are the fastest, but it does mean that you care about your body and how you feel.  I will admit to being "vain" in that sense of the word because I always want to feel good and be excited about my health and athletic ventures.  I do admit that is is weird still to me when someone refers to me as an "athlete" because to me, an athlete is a professional baseball or hockey or football player, not a 50-something woman that runs.  But in every sense of the word, I am indeed an athlete.

http://www.girlsrunfast.com/

Now in the spirit of travelling to Ireland, please remember that Guinness is often my beverage of choice after a good long run.  It is full of iron as well as flavor and is lower in alcohol than many other beers.  Can't wait to visit the real source!

No comments:

Post a Comment