Monday, July 14, 2014

Boston Bomber Revisited

So the first of the trials/questionings of the alledged friends/accomplishes of the Boston Bomber are coming to a conclusion this week, and I'm really not sure what to make of these "kids".  Yes, they are indeed kids, the same age as my daughter and also students at a Massachusetts university, just as she is, and in a way, their actions dictate those of naive, idealistic kids. Tazhayakov, the first of these friends to stand trial, admitted disposing of a backpack and laptop belonging to the bomber and then telling the FBI where to find and recover the said backpack.  His attorneys are arguing that his admission should not be allowed to convict him since they were alledgedly obtained in a interview with the FBI when Tazhayakov felt he couldn't leave the custody of the FBI.  This is where I disagree with his "defense" even though I know he is entitled to one. You cannot make me believe that his actions were just not those of a kid simply caught with his hands in the "cookie jar".  The same friends also admitted that the bomber met with them a month before the incident and told them he knew how to make a bomb and discussed various forms of martyrdom with them.  I know these are kids and as college kids we all live in our own "dream" world so to speak where we believe in very purposeful ideals and basically don't sway from those ideals.  Shoot, many of my friends in college felt strongly about this or that, but never enough to act in a terroristic way and hurt/maim others.  I think that even the parents of these kids believes they did wrong as one stated that his son needed "to pick his friends and acquaintances better and pick the right ones".  Why are their actions any different from friends of Terry McVeigh's or the sibling that turned in the unibomber?  I guess that I'm waning over time, but their is still no excuse for their actions or the actions of the bomber himself.  I'm inclined to be in the camp that they should all rot in hell.


No comments:

Post a Comment