Monday, July 14, 2014

It's Getting Better


Yup, this is often how I feel after a good run in the morning.  The last few days have been stressful as I was involved in a 125th Anniversary/Birthday Celebration of a club that I belong to here in CHQ.  Lot's of activities to be organized, coordinated, etc. and somehow I ended up as a co-chairman of the celebration portion of the event.  The great thing is that this club is filled with overly capable women who know how o take charge.  That can be a tough dynamic as we all want to get it done, raise money for scholarships ( as an organization, we raised over $87K last summer to sponsor students in furthering their development as artists, musicians, and dancers) and we do not like to fail. As part of our 125th year, we also had a Silent Auction designed to take in the most $$$$ and I think I'm gad not to have been in charge of that.  Major kudos to the two women who were as they made it happen and didn't seem to ever lose their cool.  That part was tough for me (the not losing one's cool) and I did it.  I want things to go so right all the time (there is that type "A" personality and why I run in the first place).  No catastrophes, no disasters, and we survived with lots of help from those more than capable women.  Thanks to you all.

Running was better this week as well.  The weather has been very strange as it has not been as hot as it was earlier (late June/early July) but it sure has been wet with lots of thunderstorms and severe weather.  This leads to cooler temps but high humidity in the morning.  The good news is/was that when I did my long run this past weekend, the weather was absolutely perfect for running - the temp was cool enough (58F) that I never noticed the high humidity (88%).  I chose a route that had me run the hills n the latter half and I was more than able to handle them without even feeling it.  This made me happy and hopefully that means I have turned the corner before I am scheduled to run the Presque Isle Half Marathon in Erie, PA next Sunday.  I've run this race the last six years since those are the last six years that I have been here for the race.  It used to be that either my daughter was too young or I wasn't here yet for the summer to run the race.  It is a one loop, flat course on a peninsula that juts out into Lake Erie.  It has grown from a few more than 500 runners to close to 1500 last year.  Last year, the weather was also absolutely perfect in that there was little or no humidity and temps in the low 60s.  The year before, the humidity was close to 100% and we ran between thunderstorms.  In fact, we actually watched a thunderstorm come across Lake Erie as we were finishing and it chased us from the finish line to our car!  I've also raced, not race, ran as a progression run, ran an easy run - you name it over the last 6 years, and I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do this year.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Sunday brings and what I decide to do on race morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment